I suggest ...

Modify a principle in the Duke 21C Manifesto

One of the principles of the Duke 21C Manifesto is stated as follows:
◾The purpose of education is to enrich lives and to help people achieve their individual and collective goals.
Though I do agree with this principle, I think it overlooks the posibility that a person may not have their goals, individual or collective, defined clearly, or not at all. Education, should help an individual come in contact with varying aspects of human culture, be exposed to different ways of thinking, and other knowledge/understandings/tools that will help/facilitate him/her to explore the possibilities and find the goals h/she will strive to achieve.
Perhaps, something like:
◾The purpose of education is to enrich lives and to help people set and achieve their individual and collective goals.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Edgar J. Becerra-Bertram shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminHASTAC Help (hastac.org, HASTAC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your suggested modification of the Duke 21C Manifesto. The Duke 21C Manifesto was created by graduate students in a 21st Century Digital Literacies class in Spring 2013. Currently, the "History and Future of (Mostly) Higher Education" FutureEd MOOC community is transforming it into a community constitution for the 15,000 people who are participating in the MOOC.

If you would like to annotate the original Duke 21C Manifesto, we would encourage you to do so on RapGenius. If you would like to edit or annotate the new FutureEd MOOC Community Constitution, you can edit in the course wiki (you have to be registered for the course) or on RapGenius at http://news.rapgenius.com/Cathy-davidson-how-a-class-becomes-a-community-theory-method-examples-chapter-one-annotated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base